Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz19uXBvGjd

Friday, April 1, 2011

Visit to Tecpan

Last night it occurred to us that exactly two years ago we were in Guatemala finishing a week-long mission trip. It was during that week that God confirmed to us that He was calling us to work in Guatemala. And last night we spent our first night in our new home -- we are now living next door to Mimi's House!

Today my mom and I met up with Dick Rutgers to visit with some families in Tecpan. I was most anxious to see Samuel, a fourteen-year-old boy that we sponsor. Two years ago I met Samuel while on a mission trip. We were bringing food and clothing to a widow that lives near Samuel and he asked for shoes not for himself, but for his younger brother. The missionaries we were with explained that we were only able to help the families without fathers and it absolutely broke my heart to have to tell Samuel no.

Months later I remember praying and complaining about my own circumstances when Samuel popped into my mind. I was reminded that although my situation at the time was not perfect, I was still living in a comfortable home with plenty of food to eat. The very next day I emailed the missionaries we had worked with to ask about Samuel. It just so happened (not a coincidence, but orchestrated by God) that the missionaries had just visited Samuel's community. His father had recently died and they were looking for sponsors to help this family.

Today Samuel was working at a nearby farm since schools here were not in session, so we weren't able to see him. But we did have a nice visit with his mom, her children, and lots of other kids who live in the neighborhood. Samuel's sister, Anna, is twelve and doing well in school. His brother, Josue, is nine and also enjoying school. The youngest two boys are still at home with their mom. We had such a great time and I look forward to going back again soon!





3 comments:

Kelly said...

Isn't God just AMAZING?!?!?! Only HE could orchestrate a day like this for you and your mom. When reading this post I felt like everything has come full circle for you and your precious family. As you said 2 yrs. ago God confirmed for you that Guatemala was the place for you to serve God. At that time you met that sweet boy. Two years later you are there being the hands and feet of Jesus and you are meeting his family. Again, God is AMAZING.
Thank you so much for sharing this great day. Just another testimony of God's greatness.
Can't wait to meet you and your family again in Guatemala in June.
God Bless,
Kelly

Spears said...

LOVE the pictures!!!!!!!!! What an amazing story!!!!!!!!!

Jessica said...

Almost every post makes me cry these days! Thank you for the beautiful work that you are doing in Guatemala, and thank you for sharing a piece of it with us. Praying for Samuel and his family!