Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz19uXBvGjd

Friday, May 20, 2011

Malnutrition Center in San Juan











This past week I was so happy to meet up with a group working with Florida Baptist Children's Home at a malnutrition center in San Juan, Guatemala. Right now there are more than sixty children at the center and some of the hardest working nannies I've ever met. Each nanny has many babies and children to care for and they truly love these children like their own. But you can imagine what a difficult job they have. We were glad to be there to give them some extra help and to be able to give each child a little extra love and attention.






I know I've blogged about the fact that around half of the children here suffer from chronic malnutrition. I've known that statistic for a while now. But bathing these babies, changing their diapers, and feeling their ribs as I hold them makes it all too terribly real. The babies at the feeding center in San Juan will probably be OK. The nannies, nurses and doctors will work to make sure they are healthy. But I can't help but wonder about all the other little ones here that are not being helped.

3 comments:

Pat Duff said...

Just the other day I was reading, Lori, that here in Guatemala we have the third highest rate per capita of malnutrition in the WORLD. Had to believe we've surpassed much of Africa. I'd love to visit the center in San Juan with you sometime.

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing these sweet faces with us. My heart is heavy for these and others as well.

KrishaLiva said...

Glad that there are still Malnutrition Center today. This center is a big help for the children who suffer from Malnutrition.

pediatrics-emr